Various possible solutions to the PDA problem:
- The problem: there are many PDA records in the shared database but the inputting libraries do not want other SULs to share these records. The presence of these records means that other SULs cannot automate the loading of e-book records.
- Newly entered PDA records have the status of DISCOVERY RECORD, but there is currently no automated way not to match on these records. Older records lacking the status field have to be examined individually to figure out if they are PDA records. Currently, PDA records--both with and without the status field--result in wasted time and more duplicate bibs in the cooperative database.
- Long-term solution: PDA records should be loaded into the discovery tool rather than into Aleph. This is a good solution going forward.
- A possible short-term solution: This is a possible solution only if the ISBN is not crucial to the PDA projects. So we need to hear from PDA libraries on how they use ISBNs in their workflows.
- We think it would help the rest of us who are trying not to load duplicate records if the ISBNs could be removed from PDA records. This would solve the problem for the SULs who load eocr’s which match on ISBNs. Removing ISBNs from PDA records seems to us to be a fairly easy global change for FLVC to do.
- Another variation on this suggestion—probably a better choice--is to move the ISBN to $z in the 020 field. We tested the ISBN match and it does not report a match when an ISBN is in $z but does match when in $a. Once again, FLVC should be able to pull a record set and do a global change.
- Another possible short-term solution: This involves setting up P_file_90 so that it can match on both ISBN and STA. If FLVC could write a script so that P_File_90 would not load a record when the status field is DISCOVERY RECORD, and further if FLVC would pull a record set of PDA records that lack the correct status field and add the STA field, that would solve the entire problem right now.
- Another long-term solution: Consortial purchasing of e-book packages would make the provision of bib records easier for all SULs. That way there would be just one bib for each title and the current problems of loading and encountering duplicates would be solved.
- The best possible long-term solution: Share bibliographic records--period.
EXAMPLES of PDA problems:
FIU's worst case example: a batch of 6 eBooks. Five out of 6 had PDA problems; 1 was a multi-match; all required manual moving of orders and holdings.
FIU's more normal example: a batch of 15 eBooks. Six out of 15 = 40% had PDA problems which required manually moving orders and holdings. See below for details.
- Aleph no. 031038757 (order created manually – multi-match)
9781598844269 WOMEN IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES: A REFERENCE HANDBOO http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10508630 99952818486
- Aleph no. 031039596 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9781409410386 SELLING ETHNICITY: URBAN CULTURAL POLITICS IN THE http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10456144 99952819613
- Aleph no. 031038463
9780803245693 PROOF OF GUILT: BARBARA GRAHAM AND THE POLITICS OF http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10670467 99952819495
- Aleph no. 031039599 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9781593325077 CAPE VERDEAN IMMIGRANTS IN AMERICA: THE SOCIALIZAT http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10514900 99952818999
- Aleph no. 031038460
9781608010899 BLACK TULIPS: THE SELECTED POEMS OF JOSE MARIA HIN http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10651501 99952818966
- Aleph no. 028120849 (order created manually – multi-match)
9781598843576 RADICAL FEMINISTS: A GUIDE TO AN AMERICAN SUBCULTU http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10485573 99952818329
- Aleph no. 031039602 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9781453901809 FAITH AND POLITICS IN AMERICA: FROM JAMESTOWN TO T http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10516995 99952819253
- Aleph no. 031038462
9780300155051 ORDERING THE CITY: LAND USE, POLICING, AND THE RES http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10347220 99952819356
- Aleph no. 031039628 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9780313068263 WOMEN CRIMINALS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PEOPLE AND ISS http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10521115 99952818396
- Aleph no. 031038459
9780252093678 FROM JIM CROW TO JAY-Z: RACE, RAP, AND THE PERFORM http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10532378 99952818145
- Aleph no. 031039649 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9780807149850 STUDENT ACTIVISM AND CIVIL RIGHTS IN MISSISSIPPI: http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10653119 99952819668
- Aleph no. 031038760 (order created manually – multi-match)
9780252093784 EQUAL TIME: TELEVISION AND THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEME http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10653984 99952819139
- Aleph no. 031039666 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (PDA)
9780203102329 DIGITAL STORYTELLING: CAPTURING LIVES, CREATING CO http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10643527 99952817940
- Aleph no. 031038461
9780203933732 MEDICINE AND WARFARE: SPAIN, 1936-1939. http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10656982 99952818986
- Aleph no. 031039672 – ORDER HAD TO BE MOVED (Print record)
9780313345814 FEMINIST WRITINGS FROM ANCIENT TIMES TO THE MODERN http://site.ebrary.com/lib/FIU/docDetail.action?docID=10547315 99952818037