CAT fields in Bib records
CAT fields in the merge
The records in the merged bib file are starting out with fresh CAT field histories. The existing CAT fields in the individual copies of a bib record in the separate Alephs are being dropped in the merge. Reasons for doing this include:===
- Carrying forward the CAT fields from the separate Alephs could result in so many CATs on a bib that it would be too long and uneditable.
- The CAT fields from the separate Alephs don't really have meaning for the new merged record. In particular, the history of who touched a record in the separate Alephs does not reflect how the shared record came to be.
- The cataloging levels assigned in CAT fields vary widely across the SULs. Some libraries assign level 99 to everyone. Other libraries use a tiered system, with 40 as the highest level. If existing CAT fields carried forward into the merged record, a lot of SUL catalogers could be locked out of updating records whose last CAT field has level 99.
The merged bibs are made with a single CAT field that indicates they came from the initial merge for Shared Bib.
- The merge CAT contains: Cataloger = SBMERGE; Level = 20; Date = date of the merge; Hour = time of the merge
CAT fields post-implementation (ongoing)
There need to be discussions about cat levels assigned to users for their Aleph permissions.
- Can the group agree to use a tiered system of levels?
Example: 01=typist, 05=acq librarian; 10=beginner; 20=intermediate; 30=senior; 40=supervisor
- What other issues should be discussed?