Bib STA field terms
Terms valid for use in bib records
- DISCOVERY RECORD
- DO NOT OFFLOAD
Terms not valid for use in bib records
Discussion of DO NOT OFFLOAD
- Originally used to mark records that should not be exported for FSU and UF for loading into RLIN, which at the time was a bibliographic utility competing with OCLC.
- Evolved to indicate proprietary records.
- Information gathered by Proprietary Records group indicates not all proprietary records require DO NOT OFFLOAD
- Over time the reason for exporting records has changed. Used to mean, export for use by another bibliographic utility. Now records may be exported for a library's discovery tool, for resource sharing, for other purposes other than sharing metadata with other users of a bib utility.
- In shared bib, DO NOT OFFLOAD has multiple meanings
- do not export to OCLC
- do not use if you didn't license the records
- do not use for maintenance reasons. For example, do not use if not s Serials Solutions customer -- PDA/DDA partner -- whatever -- because the records may be deleted when Serials Solutions sends an update file -- when the PDA/DDA project ends -- etc.
- other meanings?
- Should DO NOT OFFLOAD be abandoned in favor of more descriptive terms? What other terms would better reflect what's meant?